Re: [PipingDesign] api 617

From: <abdolhossein>
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 09:11:00 EDT

hi freind,
thanks for yr guide,but about centrifugal compressor whith 4 nozzle? best regard
ghasemi

George McKinney <gmckinney@augustaeng.com> wrote: Nozzle loads on a multi-stage reciprocating compressor should be checked for each stage. Each stage will have different suction and discharge pressure and temperature. This will result in different forces acting on the cylinder flanges (nozzles).

The compressor manufacturer will give an allowable flange or nozzle rating for his machine. This is usually intended to limit the load which is being applied back through the compressor frame, which would result in deformation, particularly around the compressor crosshead bearing. This is what we are usually trying to limit, to prevent distortion which would cause failure of the crosshead bearing slide. Thus, we are looking at the sum of forces on the suction and discharge nozzle of any particular cylinder, which must be resisted by the compressor frame. As I noted in my previous msg, the nozzle loading will be a sum of both pressure loading and any thermal loading. Normally, the manufacturer should give you maximum allowable values for vertical, horizontal (perpendicular to the crank centerline) and axial loading.

Of course, this relates to forces as limited by the compressor frame itself. It is possible that the compressor pulsation bottle may have some limit on the attachment of nozzle and flange to the bottle. This, of course, would be a matter to take up with the piping/bottle manufacturer.

George McKinney