Re: [PipingDesign] Query-Sump caisson Piping

From: <Paul>
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 02:37:00 EDT

Yes, a flat face has to meet a flat face (over the entirety of both surfaces). If one flange face is raised and the other is flat, you should install a suitable spacer to avoid cracking of the weaker one while tightening the bolts. This is common knowledge and goes back to the ancient days of bolting CS piping to CI pump bodies. If you look around the website you'll see a few references to this.

I really have to wonder how many people post to this list without taking a look at the website. I've spent countless hours and thousands of dollars setting up PipingDesign.com for the past few years and implementing a good search engine so that people can find this sort of freely-available information on the internet.

http://www.pipingdesign.com/flanges.html

Paul