RE: [PipingDesign] About ISO...and CAD

From: <SARE>
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 01:28:00 EST

From: Paul Bowers [mailto:pbowers@pipingdesign.com]

As far as I know, ISO requirements are simply that there exists a document handling process and that there is a document trail that can be followed by the auditor to ensure that said processes have been followed. Please correct me if I've gotten this part wrong.

In other words, Joan Cad makes a revision to a 3D piping model (she doesn't have to conform to any ISO stuff at this point, since everything she does is logged by the computer) and saves the drawing to the network. ISO only comes into effect when the drawings/CAD files enter the system in order to reach a key stage prior to release as official documents to be released (for comments, checking, approval, etc.).

***Nope. The moment Joan Cad touches her workstation, her every action related to her job responsibilities is "govern" by the ISO quality management system. opening cad file with the intent to review, edit or create falls under the edms protocl. Its all part of the workflow process - a mechanism that moves a work item from its initial entry point to another state or between states up to its final state (closeout and record retention).

Since the long-critical job of checker* for piping design work has effectively been eliminated by software (as someone else on this list has already noted), the document moves along to a higher-level software program which picks out the anomolies, disconnects, and digital problems. Then, the document goes up the tree to the chief piping engineer for signing. At this point, the chief piping engineer doesn't really have the time to review the drawings fully, so they are signed-off anyway.

***Nope. As ive said before, ISO is heavy on written procedure. This part of the designer activity is covered by ISO Section 4.2.3 Control of Documents. What the content management software such as EDMS does is simply move the documents electronically. During the review process it undergoes a squad check (peer review using his/her desktop in mulitple layers) then its pass on to the Design Supervisor. If the Supervisor accepted it then its pass on to the Engineer. At this stage, document is ready to be issued for review and comments to others who have a stake in the project usch as Production and Process. The good thing about this process is that all users are notified if there is a change or the process is completed - all done electronically. Signoff for all controlled documents (such as drawings) are tracked, relationships and links are created and activity logged - full traceability. Only when this has been satisfied is the hardcopy drawing issued for construction (IFC).

There seems to be a disconnect here, in that a key stage of the usual (read: old) process has been eliminated.

***There is no disconnect. Allow me to quote what an EDMS can do (taken fom their manual)

1. Employees know what projects they are working on and what they must do.
2. Project leaders know what needs to be done and who will do it.
3. Employess and project leaders know what parts are affected.

> >We compare and trend previous performance on quarterly basis.
> > Copies are printed and distrubuted down to the line supervisors at year
end

> Great. What do the trends actually signify?

The very first that we did Paul is to find out how where doing compared to industry leaders - youve heard it before benchmarking. Then we make an assessment of the conditon wherein - again youve heard it before Gap Analysis.
Because we know understand where we stood, this enable us to prepare a road map to get where we wanted. Again youve heard it before Vision and Mission.

and now to your questions.
How much better are your products? They're the same. What we have acheived is reduction in the offspec material and improvement in the on-stream factor. Result is increase in profit. Shareholders/customer are happy.

How do you know you're measuring the right things? Very good question. Benchmarking and Gap Analysis is the answer. This in turn provided the metrics/KPI's. You dont really know where you stand unless you can measure it.

How much better is your engineering?
This is difficult to answer. Let me say there is still some resistance to change. or let me say that we have not yet gotten our money back with the investment that has been made so far.

Does ISO900x implementation affect your ability to innovate? ISO 9001:2000 is strictly a quality management issue. I dont think that this is the tool to foster innovation most espcially when faced with compliance.

Done anything your competition might call a breakthrough? Nope> . breaktorugh is cutting edge without precedence and is our normally acheived in an the environment where rules are almost non-existent. Creative people are not hampered by rules and procedure and they work better in garage - the likes of Skunkworks, Pixar animation team and Lucas light and magic. Mass producing the "breakthrough" you need the ISO. In my line of work, i dont want the people working for me to be creative and innovative. I want them to think out of the box when confronted with a difficult problem but without breaking the rules (specs, procedure and codes). We simply cann ot afford to. The end result might be disastrous and catastropic.

I'm jerking your chain for the sake of argument, Ralph, not taking shots.
> But I'm still persuaded that ISO900x appeals to bean-counting not real
> product improvement.

That's OK. Ive got my ass chewed a lot of times and been jerk left and right by a many contractors and fabricators. As Christopher has said before - it takes determination to make it happen else its just another damn procedure. Received on Sun Jan 19 01:28:00 2003