RE: [PipingDesign] Olf Fartism Strikes Again [adr][adr]

From: <Bruce>
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 09:38:00 EDT

You don't have to very old to remember some of this, just have diverse background. I left a major US manufacturing company in '96, and we had a designer who refused to use computers (he retired a fwe months later). He claimed (and rightly so) that he could draft by hand and in ink faster than a CAD jockey could. Modifications changed the equation, tho'. We still have a table with a horizontal rule around the office; I suppose the ocassional small-time client might come around with his original and want just a modification as an "as-built".

Used scroll drawings in the nuke industry, and on long web-processing lines. some well over 4 o4 5 meters long! The tranfer to microfiche was a total disaster for those scroll-type drawings. A lot of places still keep drawings on 'fiche. In fact, I know lots of manufaturers are "downloading" CAD to 'fiche (seems like swimming against the current, doesn't it? But company policy is like the government - don't question it and it takes a lot to change it).

                ... Bruce D. Bullough ...
                Sebesta Blomberg & Associates
                2381 Rosegate
                Roseville, MN  55113    USA