Re: [PipingDesign] Strut

From: <Christopher>
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 10:02:00 EDT

>I will leave at this stage and hope the group can very well figure out the
>reply on the basis of sound engineering judgement and not specious
>arguments.

This is a good lesson for everyone. Never assume that someone knows what he's talking about without doing your own homework. As corrolary, just because a sales rep says it's so, doesn't make it so. Sales reps are paid to sell stuff, not to do other people's engineering. I've harped about this with regard to software, but it's true everywhere and not just in piping design.

I know there are a lot of subscribers to this list who are relatively new to the piping design business and want to get ahead. Part of growing professionally is developing a crap detector. (Ernest Hemingway was once asked what key intellectual traits are important to a writer. He reportedly responded with, "A built-in, shock-proof crap detector.") Your crap detector will make you to ask questions like Saha asked when he saw something that didn't look right. By all means ask questions, but never accept anything at face value until you've thought about it and made sure that it jibes with other things you know.

chrisw@skypoint.com        | this distance"   (last words of Gen.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw Received on Wed Sep 24 10:02:00 2003