Re: [PipingDesign] Rant on Engineering

From: <Christopher>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 11:27:00 EST

>We have no real promotional body - that's the root of our problem.
The root of the problem is the inability to act autonomously. In general engineers are satisfied to work for wages and let employers call the tune. That isn't the way to get recognition. It sure isn't the way Brunels or the Roeblings or the Rickovers and von Brauns got it.

You really have to ask yourself what you want from life. If you want public adulation, you're in the wrong line of work--learn to shoot baskets or find a job in show business. If you want a comfortable wage and a nice pension, work for someone else and don't make waves. If you like the engineering biz, go into the engineering business. Take on projects and earn your fees by doing things that others can't or won't, but don't expect instant adoration without some effort at earning it. The world is full of people who think the world owes them a living, and they're generally very unhappy, because the world doesn't feel that way. If you want a free ride, I think it's still possible to go through life hopping freight trains and cadging change from strangers.

chrisw@skypoint.com        | this distance"   (last words of Gen.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw Received on Fri Mar 05 11:27:00 2004