RE: [PipingDesign] MILL TOLERANCE

From: <Nashine>
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 10:51:00 EDT

Dear Suresh,

Mill tolerance is always taken as negative for thickness calculation in CAESAR i.e., same is subtracted from nominal pipe thickness entered in the input spreadsheet to arrive "minimum thickness". Also, CAESAR input spreadsheet doesn't accept negative figure for mill tolerance.

Further, on basis of design pressure, pipe OD, allowable stress, joint efficiency factor (depends on semless / welded with type) and factor "Y" (which depends on the material and design temperature) "minimum thickness" is calculated.

The above two values for "minimum thickness" is compared and warning message ; in case of former being less "pipe thickness is less than the calculated one" appears.

A K Nashine