Re: [PipingDesign] OT: Lube Systems Design Reference

From: <Thane>
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 10:10:00 EDT

Steve,

Not sure if I have your original email, but I would say it depends a lot on what the system is for. Different machinery obviously uses different types of lubricants (i.e. viscosity, flash point, etc.). "Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers" has a decent section on what types of lubricants are used in different machineries. "Modern Marine Engineers Manual" Vol. 1, by Osbourne, has a whole chapter on lube systems. Automobiles have one pump and a filter, and the oil gets replaced every 3000-6000 miles. Steam turbines because of their cost would possibly have 1 regular pump, 1 standby pump and 1 emergency pump to ensure pressure is never lost if the engine is turning. Turbines often have lube oil purifiers instead of or in addition to filters, and the oil is hardly ever replaced because the purifiers keep it very clean. The old Navy way of remembering the lube oil system, and virtually all systems have these components, was "sump-pump-dump, strainer, cooler, bearings." (The "dump" refers to the pressure regulator in the system, and cooler is the heat exchanger.)

Thanks, TG

> Ladies + 970
>
> I asked if anyone could recommend a lube system design reference some
> weeks ago.
> Since then I have had a number of inquiries for lube systems
> review/design.
> I still cant find a decent book on the subject and have to rely on my
> folders full of articles.
> There are a lot of hydraulic power "manuals" around but they normally
> have low quality information.
> Tried Google & Amazon, but no luck.
>
> Can anyone suggest another way of finding a decent book on the
> subject?
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

Do you Yahoo!?