RE: [PipingDesign] Clarification regarding API 610 Analysis

From: <Sajit>
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 23:43:00 EDT

Rao,

Anchoring near the pump nozzles will leave a short length of pipe between the pump and the anchor. This effectively becomes 2 anchors (the pump being the other) on a straight length. This will theoritically create a very large end reaction on to the pump nozzle. Though it may be preventing the transfer of moments and forces from the other side of the piping.

I had a similar problem, an explanation that I got was that this expansion will be taken by the compression of the gasket. The gasket is already compressed to have the sealing, any more compression may fail the gasket in compression, I think. In the end I did not have those anchors.

This problem will be more significant if the temperatures are elevated as in your case of WHR.

Sajit