Re: [PipingDesign] [Fwd: Ground flush requirement for piping welds.]

From: <Narendra>
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 00:52:00 EDT

Parag
Do not loose heart on a grand reception you got on your entry to this yahoo group by the seniors. Treat it as if you are new and ragging is the right of the well wishers to provide you the needed orientation. As a mechanical engineer and QA manager I had to come out with recommendations as sought by you. I recommend and favor that it may not be at all possible to ground flush the welds which are at internal, root ones for piping systems. The TIG ( better known as GTAW)weld is the best proposition with controlled deposition that have smooth deposit exposed to flow side.
The face side weld may also be left as welded. Only criteria shall be smoothness. If you find that the there are ripples, too visible on the radiographs, then you may recommend grinding them flush. But this is taken as the last resort. I hope you do not have any vigorous stress corrosion cracking environment inside or outside.
Best wishes and keep expressing, do not get muffled. Cheers and good luck on joining the group, so professional and educative. Do not hesitate to contact me as necessary, may be my 35 years with process industry, consulting background may be of some help to you.
NK Roy