RE: [PipingDesign] GRE Stress Analysis by Vendor

From: <Sajit>
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 10:57:00 EDT

Denis,

Thank you for info.

I see that Shell standards are now based on the ISO standards which were based on the UKOOA before.

Have you used the ASME B31.3 2004 (Chapter VII) rules? Is the industry using this?

Sajit

Sajit,

I have been involved in extensive analysis of above ground GRE pipeline
systems recently and can advise the following points:

   a.. GRE is an anisotropic material so behaves quite differently to steel.
Its axial strength is around 50% of its hoop strength. I would advise
against analysing it as steel with the properties adjusted.

   b.. Caesar II currently included the UKOOA rules for GRE design rather
that the more recent ISO 14692 rules.

   c.. In my experience the vendors and manufacturers are usually not
competent to carry out stress or dynamic analysis of the GRE piping.

   d.. Centron do have the tools do do an ISO 14692 analysis for design
purposes but this does not replace the need for a Caesar II type analysis.

   e.. Be wary of the many older "design guide" rules for GRE which include
suggestions that the loads between anchors might be low. My own calculations
clearly confirm that this is not the case. Many of the design guides include
some very poor advice.

   f.. ISO 14692 includes design for cyclic service such as vibration and
short term loads such as surge.

   g.. I would not take the manufacturers rating of the pipe at face value.
Do some calculations yourself using ISO 14692 so you better understand the
behaviour of the GRE material.

Regards
Dennis Kirk-Burnnand B.E. (Mech)
DENNIS KIRK ENGINEERING