Re: [PipingDesign] Selection of flange

From: <Jijoy>
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 02:04:00 EDT

Dear Elie,

Thanks for the rules of thumb.
Are there any piping rules of thumb ?

Thanks for your answer

Cheers

   It sounded like the vessel already has a flange; if so, why couldn't you get the information on the flange.

      Do you know the ANSI rating of the flange or the MAOP of the vessel?
      Is the vessel carbon steel?
      Is the fluid caustic?

   My rules of thumb are:

      For cast iron flange, I use flat face with spiral wound gasket
      For carbon steel, ANSI 150-300- or 600 LB (MAOP of 285-740-&1440 psig), I
use raise face with spiral wound gasket
      For carbon steel, ANSI 900 and higher, I definitely will use RTJ flange
   Anyone knows where the expression "rules of thumb" came from?

   Cheers,

   JP <jijoy@mis.co.ae> wrote:
   Dear all,

   Could anyone of u answer the following query :

   There is a nozzle in a Vessel (which is a closed drain sump). I have to select a flange for the nozzle and the piping to follow.

   How will I select the type of flange whether ring, RF etc..

   The nozzles sizes are 2", 4", 6", 8". Based on the selection of flange I will also have to order the bolts.

   The bolt sizes can be obtaibed fron B16.5.    Can anyone tell me how to selectthe type of flange to be used.

   Thanks in advance
   Jijoy

   PipingOffice - Excel Spreadsheets for Piping Calculations    http://www.pipingoffice.us/

   Mechanical engineering Mechanical engineering jobs Cad drafter Process piping Mechanical

   YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS        Visit your group "PipingDesign" on the web.

   Do You Yahoo!?
   Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around    http://mail.yahoo.com

   PipingOffice - Excel Spreadsheets for Piping Calculations    http://www.pipingoffice.us/

         Process piping Mechanical

   YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS      a.. Visit your group "PipingDesign" on the web.