rules of thumb

From: <Conner>
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 10:27:00 EDT

I suspect there are many books in effect talking about "rules of thumb" (I think another one having to do with piping is from American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), see abstract for "Pipeline Rules of Thumb Handbook - Fifth Edition" at https://www.asce.org/bookstore/book.cfm?book=4182). As this book is in its fifth printing, this perhaps means it has either been some popular, or revisions are necessary or desirable as some of the "rules" may change? As far as where this phrase came from, I do not know but I think that the thumb has probably been a rather convenient unit of measurement for thousands of years. In our measurement system, I believe the width of a thumb is roughly about one inch, and thumbs are also held up for some reason out in front of some folks faces (photographers or videographers?), I guess in some fashion to sort of relatively "size up" situations. I have always had the impression rule of thumb sort of means that some of these (rules) may be sort of rough (measurements or calculations etc.), or sort of derived more from experience than rigorous scientific knowledge or determinations/research, but like you I will await certainly more expert lexicography. Randy Conner