RE: [PipingDesign] OT: Dark Side of Management

From: <Tony>
Date: Sat Mar 24 2007 - 17:42:00 EDT

Some might describe delegating too much or not delegating enough as the "dark" side of engineering management, although in both of these cases it seems like the manager at least "cares" about what happens in his group from a technical point-of-view. If one listens to American congressional committees that have investigated recent plant accidents, one would think that the real "dark" side of management is the evil engineering manager that increases profit at the expense of safety.

Unfortunately, this overly simplified attitude has already resulted in excessive and unnecessary precautions that have likely resulted in less safe, rather than more safe facilities. Of all the knot-headed personalities I've encountered in engineering, I don't remember one that would even think about sacrificing safety for profit, (unless I am incredibly naive - which is highly likely).

It seems unfortunate to me that this is the "dark side" of engineering management as the world sees it, and that we, (as engineers), don't have an Angelina Jolie to stand up for us, to tell congress that we do our best to keep things safe in situations that are inherently dangerous, and that we should be praised for the job done so far - not condemned, and given more freedom to exercise reasonable judgment in safety matters, and not less, instead of being force-fed increased inspectors that put checks in boxes instead of putting their brains to work to see if reasonable precautions in unique situations are in place.

Please let me apologize for the rambling.