Re: [PipingDesign] Re: OT: Degree Scams

From: <Christopher>
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 12:31:00 EDT

On Apr 2, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Shannon wrote:

> My comment has always been that my engineering degree
> is the equivalent of an obedience school certificate
> -- it proves I'm trainable.

Interesting point. I'd been out for years before I realized that engineering curriculums really teach people how to take tests and solve problems that have only one answer which someone else has already figured out. Along the way you learn enough physics and math so that when you get to real problems you have a few tools to help solve them.

What you don't learn in engineering school is communication and organizational skills. You also get no training in critical thinking or in dealing with ambiguity--both important parts of professional life.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/ Received on Mon Apr 02 12:31:00 2007