Re: [PipingDesign] settlement

From: <Jun>
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 03:28:00 EDT

Source: Aboveground Storage Tanks by Philip Myers 1. Check out Chapter 13 page 519 Tank Settlement, it may help. 2. On the same chapter, section 13.3, it list numerous kinds of settlement (at least 7) from planar tilt to edge settlement. 3. But id like to repeat my previous post - go over the requirement of API 653 to address issues related to tank settlement. 4. If you google search - you'll find several articles/forum addressing the issues of tank settlement. But one of the best source of info is actually the paper/best practices presented during a tech seminar related to maintenance/operation of storage tanks - the likes of Aramco, ExxonMobil, BP, etc.

Good luck.

Hi,

In my opinion ......

Foundation settlement can be of two types 1. Short Duration : Generally at the time of Hydro test . This can be significant.
2. Long Duration : Happens during operation . Generally piping system is designed for Long duration settlement. The supporting of piping can be any of the following

1. Support from the tank foundation.
2. Use of spring
3. Use of flexible element.

Sometime we need to design the piping for reversal of settlement ( Incase the tank is empty after operation there is a possibility that the foundation may bounced back ).

Regards

Ashish

See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. http://autos. yahoo.com/ new_cars. html