Request for Advice, Career Choices for an Old Guy

From: <Thomas>
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 00:01:00 EDT

Lady and Gents: Please be gracious to offer me some advice on a rather esoteric topic....

The industrial economy is in a growth spurt. I've been working in industry for some time, and i haven't seen these levels of activity since the late 70's and early 80's. This growth is making demand for technical people, those who can build things, very high.

During the last spurt i wasn't experienced enough or wise enough to observe how best to capitalize on my skills. And in this spurt i find myself very very busy, but still making my salary as before. Of course, i've been working for the same company for almost all this time.

I'm not a Pipe Guy, rather a project guy, but have been a member of this list for some time. I often turn to this list for technical questions, but now let me pose a career question.

How do we make the most of our hard earned skills when the demand is high?

Thomas G Laupa PE
Senior Engineer - Nalco Company
Office Address: 1601 Diehl Road, Naperville, IL, 60563 Courier Address: 1003 Remington, Fort Collins, CO, 80524

970-227-5127
800-493-5009 fax