Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Vibration

From: <Christopher>
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 13:56:00 EDT

On Apr 7, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Jun Atibo wrote:

> And by the way, sway braces are not used to absorb vibration. Wrong
> application. And i can back this claim with several tech articles
> and books related to the use and mis-used of sway strut.
Right on. Likewise with dampers, (properly called snubbers, I think) which are used to limit seismic displacements. To many people see a piping span apparently vibrating and think that's the problem. It may not the problem, only one of the symptoms. If the problem is an improperly supported pump or flow oscillations, bracing the span doesn't fix anything. It might even make things worse.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/ Received on Sat Apr 07 13:56:00 2007