Re: [PipingDesign] P&ID Sample

From: <Christopher>
Date: Sun Apr 08 2007 - 15:47:00 EDT

On Apr 8, 2007, at 4:14 AM, Jun Atibo wrote:

> And by the way - is threre really any rule-of thumb in ASME or API
> Code?? I thought its all about compliance.

It's a little more complicated than that. The Codes are basically a distillation of more than 100 years of service experience as it relates to engineering design. The ASME Codes relate strictly to new construction and the design rules required for suitable service. The Codes go further than rules of thumb because they're based on solid engineering principles substantiated by testing and field experience. The classic area replacement rule for reinforcing openings looks like a rule of thumb, but in fact it's a rough application of limit analysis to the problem.

If you want you can go through most of the Code rules, with the help of some classic literature and figure out where most of it comes from. If by 'all about compliance' you're referring to QA rules, most are set up to insure that the as-built details are consistent with the design methods.

I haven't found any web articles on Code history, but there's a real good book by Arthur Greene on the topic. and plenty of books on the Codes themselves.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/ Received on Sun Apr 08 15:47:00 2007