Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Seismic Design and Retrofit of Piping Systems

From: <Paul>
Date: Sun Apr 22 2007 - 00:16:00 EDT

Christopher Wright wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2007, at 3:24 AM, PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>
>> The problem with understanding science-related [1] concepts has always
>> been visualization. Potentially brilliant, creative students may get
>> turned-off by dry, math-heavy rote tasks.

> Its the classic right-brain left-brain divide. There are probably
> just as many logical deductive engineers who get turned off by
> brainstorming sessions and sloganeering. Organizational skills are
> just as much a part of engineering as brilliant creative leaps of faith.

Can you define "sloganeering" for me? The term reminds me of "evangelists" - "rah-rah, we're the best"-type corporate propaganda.

The first time I heard about corporate "evangelists" I wanted to retch.

The term/position was created for software companies where hundreds of people toil away at producing an intangible product, question the eventual result/usefulness of their work and often wonder what they're actually doing. So "religion" is born to keep up the troops' morale.

We, on the other hand, make stuff that is real-world.

Engineering does not depend on computers, software or IT departments, it's actually the other way around. It's easy to get confused about this these days though.

Paul Received on Sun Apr 22 00:16:00 2007