Re: [PipingDesign] Hardness & Material Tensile Strength

From: <Christopher>
Date: Tue Aug 07 2007 - 12:41:00 EDT

On Aug 7, 2007, at 5:37 AM, ghkghory wrote:

> Is there any table /chart exists that indicate hardness v/s tensile
> strength of material irrespective material classification.
STFW. There is a very approximate correlation between hardness and ultimate strength for carbon steel which is is in most mechanical engineering handbooks, _Machinery's Handbook_ in particular.

It should not be used for specification purposes because there are lots of things about hardness testing that provide varying results. Normally you'd use it to check the results of heat treatment or for making a rough determination of a material category. There may be a correlation for other materials like austenitic steel or non-ferrous materials, but I haven't seen such.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/ Received on Tue Aug 07 12:41:00 2007