Re: [PipingDesign] Dear Sir...

From: <umesh>
Date: Wed Jan 09 2008 - 18:11:00 EST

Also..

If you have threaded fittings (Threaded nipples, swages etc) you have to consider threading allowance as well.

ASME B1.20.1 prohibits threading in schedule 5S and 10S wall thicknesses.

Rounded values of thread depths for americal national Taper pipe threads are:

1.5mm for DN 15 & DN20 and 1.8 mm for DN25 to DN 50

This mean Sch. 40 will be minimum in the size range DN15 to DN50 (only if you have threaded components)

Rgs,
Umesh Ken.,Senior Piping Project Engineer, BECHTEL AUSTRALIA, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
........... Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
2. "Ones dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be
taken away unless it is surrendered".....Michael J. Fox 3. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it" - Unknown
4. "You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln
5. "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell. 6. "Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the mastery of simplicity" - Unknown
7. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." – Bill Gates
8. "Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence".. - Kennedy, Robert F

Dear Sabir,
It is best to use pipe schedule 10S as the least thickness for stainless steels up thru NPS 24. This is due to welding fit-up, pipe wall stability (branching, attachments) , and product availability. 24" sch 10S is 0.250" nominal thk.

The A672 Gr 60 materials (CC60, CB60, B60, and C60) are listed in ASME B31.3-2006, p. 140. But, B31.3 does not indicate the different classes. Classes 22 and 32 are shown in ASME B31.1 with a joint efficiency of 1.0. It is good to also have access to ASTM Specifications to see detail descriptions of the classes.

Ben