RE: [PipingDesign] Sloped headers

From: <mapte@technip.com>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 01:18:00 EST

Richard,
A trunion can be defined as a dummy pipe welded to a pipe for supporting purpose (i.e. without puncturing the main pipe). This trunion can be on verticle pipe (One that you have explained) or it can be on a horizontal pipe (Downwards)
The trunion on horizontal pipe (Downwards) supports the pipe from below. Additional supporting arrangement can be added to the trunion like guides, anchor, adjustable supports etc...

Advantage of using trunion on sloping horizontal pipe is that the trunion length can be varied as per the slope, but the supporting beam elevation (On which the trunion rests) can be same. If the line size is too big a finite element analysis may be necessary to determine if the trunion can take the load (Normally the support standards are prepared taking this in to consideration)

Trunions are very commonly used to support the control valve stations. Trunions can be either welded to the pipe or to the elbow (Although some clients do not prefer trunion on elbow)

Have a nice day.
-Mandar.

Motivation will almost always beat mere talent.

              Richard Beale
              <r_beale@shaw.ca>
              PipingDesign@yaho         PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
              ogroups.com                                                cc

                                                                    Subject
              15-01-2008 09:15          RE: [PipingDesign] Sloped headers

              Please respond to
              PipingDesign@yaho
                 ogroups.com

Hi Mandar,
I just read your post on this subject. By now you've seen my post. I am still puzzled as to how trunnions would apply in a sloped line, whereas you're seeing something I don't. Can you help me in this? If my definition of a trunnion matches yours, how does this apply to a slopped line? If my definition of a trunnion differs, then in what respects, and specifically in regard to the use in a sloped line.

Many thanks,
Richard B.
Calgary, Canada