RE: [PipingDesign] Sloped headers

From: <Richard>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 03:10:00 EST

Hi Mandar,
Thank you. I appreciate your explanation. I have always worked to three definitions to your one: "Trunnions", as I previously described. "Dummy legs" (horizontal piece of pipe welded onto an elbow), and "Base Ell Supports", such as those used at a control valve station and as you say a vertical piece of pipe welded "downwards". It is interesting and important to recognize that, while we all do the same work, we differ in our vernacular.

I agree that a base support, or vertical trunnion would work for convenient elevation change, however this approach mandates that a plate be incorporated into the design on the piperack TOS that is of adequate size to accommodate the thermal growth. While I personally have not seen base supports used in a rack, I'm still inclined to agree with Ravi's checker. Not because it's unconventional to me but because shoes meet the requirement without adding a plate.

Plus, using Ravi's 120m distance and a conservative slope of 1:500. The first base support is going to have to be 315mm high and work down to 75mm to give the fabricator some meat to work with. A shoe has a horizontal length to vertical height ratio of 3:1 (300mm long x 100mm high). Assuming a NPS 6 base support this ratio is 0.53:1 at the highest support down to 2.24:1 at the lowest. Regardless of the NPS pipe size for the base support, it'll never be as favourable a ratio as a shoe, and I predict a higher likelihood of binding with the base support design over the shoe design.

It's an opinion, and we all learn from sharing.

One last thing. I have never heard of a client opposing base ells or dummy legs on elbow. What is the reason for this?

Best wishes, and thanks for the fast response, Richard B.
Calgary, Canada