Re: [PipingDesign] Sloped headers

From: <bruce.r.raymond@fluor.com>
Date: Tue Jan 15 2008 - 04:26:00 EST

Ravi - As Richard & Mandar have replied to this thread I just wanted to add a little extra - 1st - you refer to shoes / saddles - is this an alloy line? what size is the header & what are the materials / design temps? Normally - as stated in other replies - shoes are used in pipe racks for supporting piping, a vertical "trunion" does not lend itself easily to expansion, guides, & anchors (directional or fixed), Also in case of fabrication errors (it happens) a shoe is easily removed to shorten, or shimmed as required.vs. a trunion is a major headache to remove. 1 last comment - a trunion creates a natural internal corrosion point which requires a weep hole & covers a portion of the pipe which will in the future be subject to periodic wall thickness testing. I vote for shoes.

Bruce R. Raymond
Senior Design Supervisor
Fluor

ravi patel <ravi_9211@yahoo.com>
Sent by: PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
01/14/2008 12:47 PM
Please respond to PipingDesign

PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
cc

Subject
[PipingDesign] Sloped headers

In the current project of a petrochemical plant, one of the senior designers had run a sloped header 120 m long on trunions of varying height. he had issued the drawing 2 months ago.

Now we have a senior checker in company, who was going through the model review.
he wants it to revise the header and run it on shoes/saddle.

I just wanted to know whether anything was wrong with using trunions. Is it fundamentally wrong to run sloped headers on trunions??

Thanks
Ravi

.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company.