Re: [PipingDesign] Sloped headers

From: <ravi>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 08:26:00 EST

Bruce- Design temp. is 190 degree C and operating temp is 160 degree C.

   Line is anchored in the middle of the rack at one of the anchor beams, allowing it to grow both sides. As usual alternately guided every 12 m.

   Thanks
   Ravi

bruce.r.raymond@fluor.com wrote:

           Ravi - Just a quick question - there is about 8" expansion in the 120mt.
length at 120C. How is this being accomodated : fixed 1/2 way with displacement at the ends,expansion loop, fixed at a piece of equipment with all expansion one way? Also is the 120C operating or design temp?

ravi patel <ravi_9211@yahoo.com>
Sent by: PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
01/15/2008 11:45 AM
Please respond to PipingDesign

PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
cc

Subject
Re: [PipingDesign] Sloped headers

Bruce,
The header is of 10" size and the material is A53 Gr.B. Its a Lp steam condensate line with design temp. 190 degree C and pressure 700 kpag.
I was referring to base supports on the header and as richard mentioned the slope is 1:500.

After reading all the posts i suppose shoes are definitely a better alternative.
I investigated the start point of such a design and found out that a senior stress guy, who is no more with the company, wanted the header to be on base supports. May be he was thinking same as john from stress point of view.

but finally the line is getting revised to shoes.

Looking at the smart plant review i found that we do have another 24" Flare header which is supported on base supports. i wonder what is going to happen to it??...its still in design stage and hasn't gone to checking...

Thanks a lot for your comments.

Ravi

bruce.r.raymond@fluor.com wrote:
Ravi - As Richard & Mandar have replied to this thread I just wanted to add a little extra - 1st - you refer to shoes / saddles - is this an alloy

line? what size is the header & what are the materials / design temps? Normally - as stated in other replies - shoes are used in pipe racks for supporting piping, a vertical "trunion" does not lend itself easily to expansion, guides, & anchors (directional or fixed), Also in case of fabrication errors (it happens) a shoe is easily removed to shorten, or shimmed as required.vs. a trunion is a major headache to remove. 1 last comment - a trunion creates a natural internal corrosion point which requires a weep hole & covers a portion of the pipe which will in the future be subject to periodic wall thickness testing. I vote for shoes.

Bruce R. Raymond
Senior Design Supervisor
Fluor

ravi patel <ravi_9211@yahoo.com>
Sent by: PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
01/14/2008 12:47 PM
Please respond to PipingDesign

PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
cc

Subject
[PipingDesign] Sloped headers

In the current project of a petrochemical plant, one of the senior designers had run a sloped header 120 m long on trunions of varying height. he had issued the drawing 2 months ago.

Now we have a senior checker in company, who was going through the model review.
he wants it to revise the header and run it on shoes/saddle.

I just wanted to know whether anything was wrong with using trunions. Is it fundamentally wrong to run sloped headers on trunions??

Thanks
Ravi

.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, business-confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company.