Re: [PipingDesign] Why piping GA are in 1:33 scale?

From: <Paul>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 14:45:00 EST

Lakshaboopathy Subramanian wrote:
> Anyone can explain why the piping GA are making in 1:33 scale?
> we can make it in 1:25 or 1:50. How the odd number 33 came to the picture?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> L.Subramanian.

It's a multiple of 2 and a reasonable scale so that detail can be distinguished visually. Some piping GAs used to be drawn at 1:25 (1/4"=12") which, in my opinion, is too small for readability.

3/8ths scale (pretty close to 1:33 at 1:32) used to be the norm and many models are built to that scale because it's the best compromise between cost and interpretation.

Then again, there's this:

http://www.snopes.com/business/hidden/rolling.asp

I do miss the old days when draftsmen had to actually think of these things, computers largely took the art out of the business. How many times have we seen barely legible, text-too-tiny scans or prints? Just because you can zoom in on the screen doesn't mean that the construction guy in the field will be able to read your wonderful creation.

Paul Received on Sun Jan 20 14:45:00 2008