Re: [PipingDesign] Fitting Class Rating to be installed on a Pressure Vessel

From: <Mawan>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 23:38:00 EST

Thanks for your prompt feed back. I'll try to get into sub part spesifically dealing with this in ASME VIII Div 1. Hopefully I could have detail info there flagging me that sort of application with Class 3000 fitting is allowed. Certainly welding and installation procedure will also be our point to stress herein.

Mawan Darmawan
Field Facilities Engineer
East Kalimantan - Indonesia

On Jan 21, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Mawan Darmawan wrote:

> I need your input whether we can still utilize 3000# coupling or the
> coupling rating should be increased to 6000#, since the problem what
> we had now is material availability of 6000# and it will take longer
> time to procure.

Presumably your pressure vessel complies with Section VIII Div 1, so you'll have to comply with that Code when you install the coupling. Look over the sub-part dealing with openings (UG-35 or UG-36, I forget which) and take your guidance from there for coupling details and welding requirements. There are lots more things involved in the repair than you've covered in your e-mail, so make sure everything complies. Right off the bat (I don't have a copy of the Code in front of me) you can use the 3000# coupling, but make sure you follow every Code requirement, including welder qualification and possible heat treatment. You may also require compliance with the National Board repair Code.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint. com | this distance" (last words of Gen. ............ ......... ......... ......... | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)
http://www.skypoint .com/~chrisw/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Received on Mon Jan 21 23:38:00 2008