RE: [PipingDesign] Cast iron pump nozzle with RF flange

From: <Conner>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 09:54:00 EST

While I believe many gray cast iron pipe and fitting flanges at least in pound ratings up to 125 lb have generally been flat-faced, I think historically it has also not been unusual to see some gray iron flanges (and maybe particularly of pump discharges of 250+ lb) to be raised face. I believe however that there has been a stipulation mentioned in at least some pipe and fitting standards documents (e.g. AWWA C110 and C115, as well as manufacturer literature) that specifying "high-strength" bolting may generally not be advisable for connections to such gray cast iron flange joints or when ring gaskets are used in joints involving gray cast iron items (see e.g. page 8-3 of the document at http://www.acipco.com/adip/products/Sect8.pdf). I think bolts that have an upper limit on tensile strength, e.g. ASTM A307 Grade B where adequate for the service, should generally be employed in such joints.

Randy Conner, ACIPCO