Re: [PipingDesign] Carbon steel ASTM 216 grades WCB & WCC

From: <BANI>
Date: Sat Jan 26 2008 - 17:48:00 EST

Dear All,

   We had a similar situation a few years ago which I would like to share with you.

   Both A216 grade WCB and WCC are in the cast steel variety, used as valve bodies.

   ASME codes for Flanges (B16.5) and Valves (B16.34) have material groups which are tied with ASTM materials like A216 Grade WCB (material group 1.1) and A216 Grade WCC (material group 1.2).

   In ASME B16.5 and B16.34, each material group is provided with an allowable pressure limit table, corresponding to Pressure class (150 Lbs, 300 Lbs, 600 Lbs and so on) and also as a function of temperature.

   In one of our power plant project (it was in natural gas supply pile), the combination of pressure, temperature and material class of A216 Grade WCB required 600 Lbs Control valve (B16.34), as 300 Lbs could not marginally meet the desired pressure at the specific temperature.

   However, using A216 WCC as valve body, we could meet the pressure - temperature combination in 300 Lbs class Control valve.

   The reputed US manufacturer of Control valve offered the 300 Lbs welded end type in WCC material.

   It is my observation that Control valves are available in WCC body construction, in addition to more "standard" WCB type.

   Regards,

   Bani K. Mitra

   "M. Engineer" <kahabib@yahoo.com> wrote:

           Dear colleagues

Can someone state the difference between the grades of WCC & WCB of carbon steel. One valve manufacturer proposed to supply us with carbon steel valves ASTM A216 Gr. WCC instead of the original request of having the valves bodies made of ASTM A216 Gr. WCB. What is the exact difference between WCC & WCB. The valves shall be utilized in hydrocarbon service.

Thanks

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Received on Sat Jan 26 17:48:00 2008