Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Regarding stress check for hydro test

From: <umesh>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 16:21:00 EST

Stress calc for hydrotesting?
A simple hoop stress calc based on code should be sufficient. This is to ensure that the design pressure selected for the piping class is such that hoop stress during hydrotest pressure (typically 1.5 times design pressure) does not exceed code limits.

Rgs,
Umesh Ken.,Senior Piping Project Engineer, BECHTEL AUSTRALIA, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
........... Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
2. "Ones dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be
taken away unless it is surrendered".....Michael J. Fox 3. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it" - Unknown
4. "You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln
5. "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell. 6. "Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the mastery of simplicity" - Unknown
7. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." – Bill Gates
8. "Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence". - Kennedy, Robert F

do you guys really perform a stress calc for every piping system requiring hydro at the plant? we dont. and we got several dozens of different piping class from hdpe to duplex to c-moly. but every single piping installed are fully documented. i meant every single spool installed - doesnt matter if its utility or process piping.

makes repair, alteration or mods later on a breeze.