Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Hydrotest (High point) Vents

From: <mihir>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 16:44:00 EST

What i recall from my (half a decade) experience is plugged vents are hydrotested and then seal welded.
Some companies like bechtel have their hydrotesting assemblies which includes the root valve and hence there is no vent valve on the permanent piping. Only steam service had permanent vent valves which were seal welded.

And someone from reliance refinery can throw some light on this issue. What i recall is because of some safety issue, reliance had chopped off all the vent valves and designed a special cap for sealing the vent. It was cumbersome but they did it on all the plants of existing refinery and it included all the hot lines.
Alok, Rajesh correct me if am wrong..

Thanks
Mihir Patel

Well,, i dont have experience of three decades.. However in my one decade experience, i have seen the following..

  1. Plugged vents during installation and hydrotesting (Threaded half coupling with plug)
  2. Remove the plug and seal weld it after testing.
  3. Valved vents are used for all hot fluid services.

Rgs,
Umesh Ken.,Senior Piping Project Engineer, BECHTEL AUSTRALIA, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
........... Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
2. "Ones dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be
taken away unless it is surrendered".....Michael J. Fox 3. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it" - Unknown
4. "You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln
5. "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell. 6. "Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the mastery of simplicity" - Unknown
7. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." – Bill Gates
8. "Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence". - Kennedy, Robert F

not most companies and ive been around for over 3 decades doing piping work aside from pressured and rotating equipment. we dont remove the vent valve. it stays on the pipe and after the test we just install the plug. the resources and time needed to remove several hundred of vent valves installed at the plant shoudl be enourmous.