RE: Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Cast iron pump nozzle with RF flange

From: <kiqbal9@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 09:49:00 EST

Cast iron in general and cast iron flanes in particular are not designed to take bending loads. RF provide some bending on the flange while tightening. Hence, thev case is not how much you tight the flange the question is are you applying bending load or not?

If the answer is yes, then it is now allowed to give bending loads on CI.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Khalid Iqbal

umesh k.n. wrote:
> The question here is..
> Is it not wise to use Flat faced flanges instead of using raised face flanges,
which could crack by a small mistake of bolt tightening?
> Why we risk whole equipment for that.
>
> Rgs,
> Umesh Ken.,Senior Piping Project Engineer,
> BECHTEL AUSTRALIA, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
>
> Favorite quotes:
> 1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
........... Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
> 2. "Ones dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot
be taken away unless it is surrendered".....Michael J. Fox
> 3. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while
you could miss it" - Unknown
> 4. "You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." -
Abraham Lincoln
> 5. "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell.
> 6. "Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the
mastery of simplicity" - Unknown
> 7. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they
can't lose." – Bill Gates
> 8. "Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great
intelligence". - Kennedy, Robert F