Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Hydrotest (High point) Vents

From: <umesh>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 15:29:00 EST

Such tie in welds which cannot be hydrotested are tested with 100% radiography (preferebly) or any other NDE as accepted by client. Such welds are called "Golden Welds"
As we have seperate piping codes (31.3 or 31.1 etc) Section VIII is applied to piping at very few instances

Rgs,
Umesh Ken.,Senior Piping Project Engineer, BECHTEL AUSTRALIA, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
........... Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
2. "Ones dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be
taken away unless it is surrendered".....Michael J. Fox 3. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it" - Unknown
4. "You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln
5. "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell. 6. "Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the mastery of simplicity" - Unknown
7. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." – Bill Gates
8. "Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence". - Kennedy, Robert F

But what about the tie in joints which are not able to be hydrotestd..100% NDE is ok for that.

rgs,

sadanandan.m. k

<Maybe the piping codes are different, but Section VIII doesn't permit welding after the hydrotest.

Christopher Wright <chrisw@skypoint. com> wrote:

On Jan 29, 2008, at 3:44 PM, mihir patel wrote:

> What i recall from my (half a decade) experience is plugged vents
> are hydrotested and then seal welded.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint. com | this distance" (last words of Gen. ............. ......... ......... ......... | John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)
http://www.skypoint .com/~chrisw/

__.._,_.___
Messages in this topic (21) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic Messages

PipingOffice - Excel Spreadsheets for Piping Calculations http://www.pipingoffice.us/

Main site: http://www.pipingdesign.com

MARKETPLACE Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity   13New Members
Visit Your Group
Y! Messenger
Instant hello
Chat in real-time