Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Cast iron pump nozzle with RF flange

From: <umesh>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 15:34:00 EST

Agree to Disagree..LOL
All engineering companies i worked advise against use of raised face cast iron flanges.
I explained the risk involved with that in my previous mail.. Also there is no cost benifit with raised face against flat face, If anyone would like to take that risk, GO AHED..it is your call

Rgs,
Umesh Ken.,Senior Piping Project Engineer, BECHTEL AUSTRALIA, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
............ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
2. "Ones dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be
taken away unless it is surrendered".....Michael J. Fox 3. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it" - Unknown
4. "You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln
5. "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell. 6. "Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the mastery of simplicity" - Unknown
7. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." – Bill Gates
8. "Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence". - Kennedy, Robert F

i beg to disagree. flanges having a flat faced are OK to be used in a process plant. it is also not true that they cracked easily if the joints are properly made.

what risk? risk is present if the consequence and probablities (scenarios are assumed to be established by the end-user) are ranked high in the risk matrix. that said, the consequence must be quite significant and if it is - probably the designer will avoid all together using a bolted joint.

Since the risk has been mentioned, do any of the piping designer or engineer here have any exposure related to risk assessment as applied in piping system?

can probably save your plant a significant amount of money and streamline your work requirement at the plant..