Re: [PipingDesign] underground oxygen pipeline

From: <umesh>
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 15:52:00 EST

Dear Tolga,

You are talking "DANGER" here.
Mark my word. My first suggestion: "Hire a Qualified person (with past oxygen experience)"
When Tranportation of Oxygen is involved, you need extra care in design, you need a person with past oxygen experience, and if you dont have company design guide line you need standard design specification from well known engineering companies.
I know it because, In my last job, i created a Piping design guide line for Oxygen service. (First compiling all well known engineering company standards (like SHELL, BP etc) and then having 10 to 20 meetings with all concerned engineer to discuss issues etc)

I dont want to give any simple answer to your query. Cause there is no simple answer. If i had to answer, it will be in 20 pages.

However, these are the codes/standards help you in the process.

ASTM G63                  Standard Guide for evaluating Non-metallic materials
for Oxygen
ASTM G88                  Designing Systems for Oxygen Service
ASTM G93                  Standard Practice for Cleaning Methods and Cleanliness
Levels for Material and Equipment Used in Oxygen - Enriched
ASTM G94                  Standard Guide for evaluating metals for Oxygen
Service
ASTM G128                Standard Guide for Control Hazards and Risks in Oxygen
Enriched Systems
CGA G-4.4                  "Industrial Practices for Gaseous Oxygen Transmission
and Distribution Piping System" from Compressed Gas Association.
CGA G-4.1                  "Cleaning Equipment for Oxygen Service" from
Compressed Gas Association
EIGA 33/97/E              “Cleaning Of Equipment for Oxygen Service” from
European Industrial Gases Association
EIGA/IGC Doc 13/02/E Oxygen pipeline systems EIGA/IGC Doc 13/03 Oxygen cleaning systems
NASA 1113                Chapter 5 - Oxygen from NASA Glenn Safety Manual
NFPA 51                     Standard for the Design and Installation of
Oxygen-Fuel Gas Systems for Welding, Cutting, and Allied Processes from National fire protection Association
NFPA 780                   Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection
Systems from National fire protection Association

And lastly,

Use Small case while writing a mail. Writing is caps is "Shouting"

Rgs,
Umesh Ken.,Senior Piping Project Engineer, BECHTEL AUSTRALIA, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Favorite quotes:

1. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"
........... Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
2. "Ones dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be
taken away unless it is surrendered".....Michael J. Fox 3. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it" - Unknown
4. "You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." - Abraham Lincoln
5. "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell. 6. "Technical Skill is the mastery of complexity, while Creativity is the mastery of simplicity" - Unknown
7. "Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." – Bill Gates
8. "Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence". - Kennedy, Robert F

COULD ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE DESIGN OF UNDERGROUND PIPELINE CONTAINING OXYGEN USED FOR WELDING IN A SHIPYARD. Q=1000 M3/H. OP. PRESSURE = 15 BAR. WHAT KIND OF A MATERIAL TO USE. CAN CARBON STEEL PIPE BE USED. or stainless steel to use.

IS THERE ANY THRUST BLOCK NEEDED. PIPELINE IS ABOUT 10 KM. THANKS IN ADVANCE