Re: [PipingDesign] Detail or not to detail... - ACAD diversion - is 3D here? (at long last?)

From: <Jack>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 11:24:00 EST

Hi Ed.....

I read your comments with great interest. I've been hearing of this vast migration to a 3D capable construction force, but have yet to see it on my projects. In our greenfield plant designs, we might start out with 3D, but eventually these get dumped because of 3D to 2D translation issues. The 2D drawings then get "fixed up" by the individual designers so that they match the original intent of the plant design. It may be that my industry (water-wastewater-muncipal) is a "lagging" industry when comes to implementing new technologies. Even the piping designs are pretty straight forward, in that our processes are generally low pressure, low temperature. We do deal with chemical systems, but on a small scale.

Are you seeing that this "facilitator" is the project design engineer and they are "combining" the software designs into one package that the construction folks will use as a map to construct? How have you seen this work?

thanks!

Jack Osborn, P.E.
Mechanical Engineer / Project Manager
Lee & Ro, Inc
925.627.3382

There are cad operators/designers /drafstmen and there are system design engineers. Theoreticallythe latter can be the former, but the former cannot be the latter until years of intensified exposure to that field.

Also I admire your incite about what the full force of what the CAD can do. The good news is that the future of the CAD is here and now. The bad news is that the owner/clientis dictating standards and procedures but for very good reasons. Either you're in or you're out. .