Re: [PipingDesign] dimension of fittings for 56 pipe diameter

From: <Christopher>
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 12:12:00 EST

On Mar 7, 2008, at 1:07 AM, medhesh nirmal wrote:

> Try this formula -
> Reducer Length (T) = 1.3 x [Larger Dia - Smaller Dia]
> this is for a included angle of 45 deg. For a longer taper (say of
> 30 deg) use 2 in place of 1.3.

> namrata mishra <namrata_mishra85@yahoo.com> wrote:
> i need dimensions for concentric reducer of 56*36 inch.
> can u tell me regarding 56 inch equal tee

Don't forget that reducers that size aren't standard. It's more like a pressure vessel than a pipe. You need to follow the Section VIII rules for conical reducers. The thickness of the conical section follows different rules for minimum required thickness and the joints at each end are subject to an unbalanced axial load that may require extra reinforcement. Depending on flowrates you might have momentum loading to consider.

There's also fluid mechanics issues. Without a generous knuckle at both ends like you have with weld fittings, there's going to be areas of turbulence and possibly separated flow which will give you particular trouble if your system is susceptible to erosion. Scour may also aggravate corrosion by continuously exposing fresh metal to the process fluid, whatever it is. Steep angles will increase the pressure loss. Consult your fluid flow guy for info on this or get some guidance from a basic fluid flow text.

There's a lot more to this than just layout dimensions.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/ Received on Fri Mar 07 12:12:00 2008