Re: [PipingDesign] Re: Surface Area Calculation fo Pipe Fittings

From: <Christopher>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 01:10:00 EDT

On Mar 30, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Hafiz A Alvi wrote:

> Can you tell me any book from where i can find standard values?
I doubt there are standard values. The MSS standards for fittings which underly everything only cite layout geometry. One other check you might want to make is figure the surface area based on the thin wall assumption for calculating the weight of metal: Viz, metal weight = mid-surface area x thickness x weight density. Surface area then equals metal weight/(thickness x weight density). This is approximate as you can see from figuring the weight of a length of pipe

Weight = pi(OD^2 - ID^2) x length x density = pi (OD + ID)(OD - ID) x length x Density = pi x Davg x thickness x length x density = Asurf x thickness x density

The approach gives you the mid-surface area, not the outside surface area. but it's probably close enough to use a reference for buying paint.

Christopher Wright P.E. |"They couldn't hit an elephant at chrisw@skypoint.com | this distance" (last words of Gen.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/ Received on Mon Mar 31 01:10:00 2008