RE: [PipingDesign] Use of Strut support in Pump discharge piping

From: <Prajapati>
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 10:36:00 EDT

Hi Umesh,

Sturt can be used in pump discharge line. However it is to be ensure that there is nearby structure. Point number 8 in your mail says that it experience high dead load, but generally sturt is to be used as a guide to prevent excessive moments on nozzle. If your stress engineer is going to use sturt in vertical direction just above the pump discharge then it would be a failure in piping. Sturt is a speciality items and should be avoided as far as possible, rest is upto stress engineer to decided based on layout and strees limits. Hope this will clear your doubt.
Hitesh
Calgary