Re: [PipingDesign] Re: ASME B31.4 and D/t ratio

From: <M.>
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 11:50:00 EDT

Sajit

I suggest to comply with the code and forget about your PD idea. Note; complying with the ASME code requirements is enforced by insurance group unless you can prove it thru detailed analysis that it is safe and reliable

From: Sajit Viswan <sviswan@technip.com> Subject: [PipingDesign] Re: ASME B31.4 and D/t ratio To: PipingDesign@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 4:38 PM

I am told by pipelines design (PD), that the D/t ratio given in the code (ASME B31.4) was not there earier and the limitation of the D/t ratio to 100 may not be correct. They think a ratio of up to 130 may be accepted. The code defines the t as that required for the pressure (given by the eq. PD/2S) wherein P, D and S are the pressure, OD and the allowable stress. PD suggests that the t should be the provided thickness, inclusive of corrosion and any excesses.

In code terms, if I have to use the 'PD' suggested ratio and thickess 't' defnitions vs the code recommendations. I will have to do the shell and plate theory and subsequently validate that against physiacal tests on various pipe diameters and thickness. This being out of my means. I am just thinking as how to handle this.

Sajit

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Received on Thu Jun 19 11:50:00 2008