RE: [PipingDesign] Re: Safe distance during pneumatic leak test

From: <Tony>
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 11:33:00 EDT

Re: Safe Distance for Pneumatic Leak Test.

ASME PCC-2-2006 contains Article 5.1 Appendix III Safe Distance Calculations for Pneumatic Pressure Test. Article 5.1 of the same document is titled "Risk Evaluation Considerations for Pneumatic Pressure Test."

The Article 5.1 calculation is a simple approach used widely for overpressure protection. Damage due to flying debris should be evaluated separately. The Dutch "Methods for the Calculation of Physical Effects" Part 2 CPR 14E has been used to establish exclusion zones around some large pipe systems to protect against major debris. As stated earlier, separated pieces can travel considerable distances.

Regards,
Tony Paulin